Friday, June 10, 2005

I am a Writer

I attended day one of the Philadelphia Writer's Conference today. The thing that I really like about this particular conference is the diversity of the attendees. There's very little snobbery here. Published, pre-published, fiction, non-fiction and poetry writers mix, mingle and encourage each other. I chatted this morning with a Science Fiction Writer. This afternoon I met a writer who at age 50 is finally realizing her dream of writing about food. She's working on The Food Lovers Guide to Philadelphia. (And let me tell you, Philadelphia is all about the food).

I had appointments with two agents. One asked for a partial and the other wanted a query.
I also reconnected with a former writing teacher and mentor. He asked me to write some book reviews for a new magazine he is editing. I feel revitalized and validated as a writer.

I feel especially fortunate to be a Philadelphia writer today.

3 comments:

Jax Cassidy said...

That's so awesome. You should be proud of yourself for the requests and possbile review work.

Glad you liked the conference!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic!

crissachappell said...

Conferences are fun. I find that our fellow writers are usually very nice!